Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Mine Models of Junior Yamachi

I'm inspired by the models of Japanese modeler Junior Yamachi. His mining buildings in particular intrigue me. I think it has a lot to do with the originality of design. He seems to capture the essence of these mine buildings without totally copying a prototype. I get a bit tired of seeing the same mining models over and over. It seems that American modelers are so focused on creating exact copies of prototypes where as some of the best European and Japanese modelers I've seen seem to approach modeling from more of a Hollywood set design approach. The buildings suggest what might have been instead of making a statement of this is what it was - exactly. I guess you might call it a bit of whimsy.

See more of Junior's modeling







No comments: